Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Monday - Back to Work




After a weekend full of rest and fun, we were very excited to get back to work at Rising Star and start tutoring the children again. For the most part, our tutoring went very well. The kids were responsive, focused, and enjoyed working with us. However, I did have one girl I worked with who just seemed like she really did not want to be there. I kind of felt like she could have worked better with anyone else but me. After we finished our tutoring, I was feeling kind of discouraged, but that quickly vanished when I worked with the next child who was very active and excited about reading and working with me. The real fun though I would have to say came during playtime when Jordan and I got to help out with sports time. Sports time is one hour every Monday and Wednesday where a few different standards (grades) will get to come together to play certain games and sports in preparation for competitions with other schools around the area. Jordan had a fun time getting beat by all the kids in badmitton and I had a blast learning a new game called cubity. It is basically like a game of tag crossed with steal the flag and tackle football taken to the next level. It started out being a rather complicated game, with a lot of crazy rules. It felt like I would never get the hang of it. But after a few rounds of trying and failing, I kind of figured it out and it turned out to be a very fun game. It was just great to get to bond with some new girls that I had never bonded with before, and I am excited to get to play with them again on Wednesday.

Monday night during family time while Jordan went to help the boys in our family finish their homework and get ready for bed, I got to go over to the girls’ hostel and spend some time with Saraswathy, one of the house mothers, while she did henna on my foot. The time and effort she puts into the detail in her henna art is astonishing. She truly is a wonderful artist and it was fun that she got to share one of her many talents with me. While she worked, we got to talk about many different things about both of our lives, like our families, our work, our dreams, and just about what life was like in America vs. India. Jordan, during family time, got to have a great conversation with our house mother, Ghandimathy. A lot of their conversation unfortunately was about how Jordan and I had paid way too much for the things we bought in Mahalibipurum ha ha. He also got the opportunity to share a little bit of the gospel with her. These just shows me how no matter where we are, we always need to be prepared to share the gospel because we never know just when the time will come where we meet someone who is ready to hear it. I love family time because it gives us the opportunity to bond with our sweet house mothers in ways that we never would otherwise. 



No comments:

Post a Comment